Thursday, March 27, 2008

Phi Phi Island - (Pronounced pee pee. You know, like urine)


I met a nice English fellow named Jim who told me I should go with him to Phi phi. I hadn't initially planned on going to phi phi as it is supposedly really touristy and expensive, but I figured if I had someone to split costs with it might be fun for an evening.


Phi phi is a very beautiful island which has lost much of its beauty because it is so crowded with tourists. Of course, I do feel that this makes sense; people like to go to beautiful places, plain and simple.


I swam a little bit, sat around a little bit and drank a lot. Well it seemed like a lot but it really wasn't that much, just this huge bucket of rum, coke and redbull plus several beers... well I guess it was enough.


I left the next morning feeling happy to be moving on, but as I stood on the big boat and looked down at the water all I wanted to do was jump in. Usually the water around jetties is a disgusting oily mess, but at Phi phi it was clear and tourqoise. It was so alluring I wanted to jump right off the boat there and then but decency and fear of being mutilated by boat propellers stopped me. Dam you instinct of self preservation!

(note: This is around where they filmed that movie 'the Beach')

No comments: