Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Pehrentian Islands


The Pehrentian islands are often considered as some of the most beautiful islands in the world. But I honestly feel that there are so many beautiful islands in the world a statement like that can never hold true.

I spent two days on the small island and then left. The island was very nice, there was no question, but it was still the end of the monsoon season in this region and the weather was not being so cooperative. But I still enjoyed my time there.

The first day I went snorkeling with a nice group of people and we saw turtles and sharks and, best of all, we stopped at this lighthouse thing we were allowed to climp up and jump off. It was pretty high and really fun. Only me and the other Candian guy would do it. We were proud of each other and thought we represented well. For shame Holland, England and New Zealand... For shame!

That night I bumped into some people who I had met on my trek in Taman Nagara. We drank a bunch of Vodka and had to get some Malay kids to lead me home at about two in the morning, I don't know what they were still doing up.

I had booked some scuba diving for the next day and when I woke I felt like I was not too hung over. I think I was in fact still drunk. Not being one to back out of a commitment I went scuba diving anyway. I should really have skipped it because the visibility was terrible and the site they took me to was really not all that great. Only had a sandy bottom and a few fish, nothing that really jumped out at me... Also there was the fact that I was beginning to feel hung over at that point and thought I would be sick underwater. Luckily I made it through the dive and then promptly puked when we reached the surface.

(Note: the one picture I have posted here does a pretty sorry job of showing what this place is like. It really was quite beautiful.)

No comments: