Monday, February 18, 2008

Diving at Sipadan

I finally got my act together and went diving. I have mixed feelings about it now that it is done. What I mean by this is that I happened to dive at one the best sites in the world for my first real open water dive.

I did three dives during the day at Sipadan and cannot begin to describle how incredible it was. There was so much vibrant coral and multitudes of brilliantly coloured fish that it was almost overwhelming. I could never decide which way to look. There were so many huge sea turtles I lost track of how many I saw. A couple of sharks made appearances, the largest being about 6 feet long. There was a huge clam that had to have been over 4 feet long and almost as high and as wide. I feel if I had really tried I could have climbed inside it, though what the point of that would be I could not say. I saw a school of about 100 giant parrotfish, which was very impressive, a couple of barracuda, a lion fish and so many other things that I have no idea what are called. There was seriously way too much to do any justice describing it. It was an experience unlike any I have had.

So now it seems like any diving will be downhill unless I go to one of the other handful of places in the world that can compare. I think I understand how heroine addicts feel, always chasing that first high knowing they will never again get to experience it. Oh well, at least I won't wind up living in an alley selling myself for sex to get the next hit... at least not because of diving anyway.

I wish I had pictures but unfortunately my camera doesn't know how to swim. Here is a wikipedia link that give a small amount of info on the island. Google it and lots will come up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sipadan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These blog posts are starting to annoy me. I hate being jealous. At least you didn't have photos this time like the ones of the dirty monkeys.

I first went diving at a little place called the Great Barrier Reef so I can relate. We are lucky that the top three places in the world are (in order): The Great Barrier Reef, Sipadan, and the Gatineau River.