Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Filipinos love videoke

We stayed in a town called Sigay for a night. It was a small town with not much to do, really nothing to do... or so it seemed. There was a hair salon next to the hotel we were staying at and one of the guys who worked there said we could hang around there for a while. We did, and Kim, which was his name, offered to take us to his sister's bar after he got off work. We accepted and spent the evening singing terribly with some Filipinos. Filipinos are good singers, I am not. I sang: 'three times a lady," by Lionel Richie, "I shot the sheriff," apparently the Eric Clapton version, though i don't remember his solo sounding like a synthesizer, and finally, "Hotel California," by the Eagles. I actually got a round of applause for "I shot the Sheriff," but I think this is due mostly to the fact that I am white and not really a good singer at all... because I am not :)

But if you keep your eyes and ears peeled around here you're bound to see or hear videoke all over the place. It was funny because the background videos playing while we sang were all of Canada. Shots of Vancouver and Rocky Mountains. I don't know if this was just coincidence or if they selected that video to try and make up more comfortable. Anyway, it was fun, in a way.
apparently

1 comment:

Nick Steers said...

I belive this is twice now with the Lionel Richie. What's happened to you Mike?